some short downtime on pony.social today; upstream DNS died and took down parts of the external connectivity (CF and friends couldn't connect), internally everything was fine except the hashicorp vault, which died. Fickle thing really, dies at the drop of a pinhat, requries manual intervention to bring back up.
#lastDnDsession my players had to investigate a series of dissappearances in the city. All the people attended the same church. After looking into that for a bid, they find out the church had been taken over by Kuo-Toa.
They fought the Kuo-Toa and the Kuo-Toa were so impressed that their dying conscious thoughts together birthed a new diety.
Quar-Bo, Goddess of Drunkness, neutral good, Domain of Alcohol, Faerun Pantheon. Her holy symbol is an half empty ale glass.
What precisely the kuo toa were doing, they will discover next session.
most notable is really that the DNS server sometimes crashes and takes k8s with it because REASONS I guess. I want to setup a secondary resolver in case the primary goes down.
I and the party were hunting down the mcguffin to mechanus. The bad guys showed up with some goons as well.
We had to file paperwork to properly take possession of the mcguffin when I had an idea.
I filed to get the bad guys paperwork on taking possession of the mcguffin.
Rolled a nat20 intelligence check to find the correct form for that and fill it appropriately.
So when the bad guys were bathing in their supposed victory of having obtained the mcguffin, I just went to the back office and had the local police force get it. They didn't fight, nobody breaks the law in mechanus.
I pulled apart my ALDI wireless earplugs. They're decent but number right broke.
It looks like there is some test pads on it >:)
Pins are: TX/TR/GND/RX/SDA/KEY/RST. I suspect a serial interface, no idea what KEY/TR is for. SDA is a bit useless without SCL, that might be hidden on the other side but I doubt it.
I might connect TX/RX and see what happens. What could also help is disconnect the battery and reconnect it. Maybe charge it manually? It did go flat before the thing went a bit weird.
network maintenance is done, should have had minimal downtime on pony.social (accidentally crapped my k8s ingress though)
still some outstanding DB maintenance
also started a database reindex+ vacuum since there were some corruption problems after a crash
Finished some routing changes internally, TCP connections are now routed via HAProxy to the proper backend. Means I can do healthchecks and DNS based routing properly on the backend
on the other hand I could expand the pony.social "brand" (it's not a brand but whatever).
I've been planning to start a Lemmy instance (federated reddit), I'm not sure if PixelFed is the right software to host an image board (PF is more about photos), so probably best to look for something else or write something / patch philomena.
I'm going to make a decision on this on the weekend, Lemmy is most likely to be starting. I'm thinking as "disc.pony.social", if someone has a different idea I am welcome to it.
Obviously any derpi-type host will be under "art.pony.social" (unless someone has a better idea)
Programming and stuff
btw I use arch
The social network of the future: No ads, no corporate surveillance, ethical design, and decentralization! Own your data with Mastodon!