2/x: why capacitors are dangerous:

a battery has a current limit, largely dictated by the chemistry. If it gives more current either the voltage drops or the battery sets itself on fire

a cap has no such limit. if a cap is shorted, the only limit to current is the resistance in the wire. If it stores 10V and the wire has 1mOh, the current will be 10kA. Nothing will stop that current from flowing. The wire will carry that energy until it evaporates. And in less than a few milliseconds, the energy has been dissipated and it's over. 10V at 10kA means in that time your cap is outputting 100 kilowatts of energy. Of course, the stored energy is only a few joules but for watts what matters is the time it takes to run through that.

also this fried my outdoor sensor. gonna have to build a new one.

Follow

@cult So what I'm hearing is I need to desolder all the giant capacitors from the old TV power boards I have laying around, and do experiments with them to see how big the boom gets.

@Celestia correct, the higher the voltage the better

(stay safe obviously)

Sign in to participate in the conversation
Manechat on Mastodon

The social network of the future: No ads, no corporate surveillance, ethical design, and decentralization! Own your data with Mastodon!